Patty's Mammie Grams

Webmistressed by her daughter, Sara. Read the DreamBook guestbook!
Sign the DreamBook!

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

July 25 Dr Roeder visit - if squeemish - skip

The visit with Dr Roeder went well this afternoon. She is extremely pleased with her handiwork - she worked hard to make it end up looking symmetrical when it finally heals, and for it to not have any 'divot-ee-ish (do you think that word will catch on?) areas when all is said and done. She was very pleased, as I said. I also have that almost nonexistent scar from about 12 years ago, and so I know that she does do beautiful stitchery. (sorry guys, close your eyes or something)
She then went over the pathology report with us to try to help us understand a few things.
For instance -- there were three 'chunks' (I think maybe they call them something else, like, oh, specimens, or even masses) taken from the left breast:
1. 4.5 x 4.0 x 3.0 cm.
2. 3.0 x 1.6 x 0.8 cm.
3. 1.0 x 1.0 x 0.5 cm.
I think that adds up to more than a golf ball but less than a racquet ball. Anyone have any ideas of how I can visualize that? Someone else will have to convert it into inches and then tell me what the diameter is of the 'mass' it would make. I can't think of any other size ball to compare it with. I am very visual and can't 'see' it unless I see it!
It is Estrogen positive 95% and Progesterone positive 50%. Those numbers mean something to the medical oncologist - which kind of medicine he will start me on later - for instance, Tamoxifin, or something in that vein. (Not in a vein, but in a pill. hee hee)
There are other letters and numbers and I'm not sure what they all mean, and I should have taken someone to take notes, but I forgot to ask. I tried to take as many notes as possible, but now I don't know what they mean. For instance -- my Her2/Neu is not amplified. ??! She is sending out for another test for the Med. Onc. (that's Doctor speak for Medical Oncologist) (Do I sound smart?) called the Oncotype DX which measures the oncogenes and "do they have over-expression?"
This is too much strange and new information, and I'm glad I don't have to go back to school to become a doctor and learn the whys and wherefores of all this. It sometimes does feel as though I am taking a crash course, though.
Must get to bed so I can get to the Rad Onc (get it everyone?) (Radiation Oncologist) first thing in the morning. The Dr. told me today I should be going to the Med Onc (Dr.Brooks) first, as He Is Now The Boss Of Me. She said the Rad Onc won't know what to do till the Med Onc knows what he is doing, and He gets to be first. Then Radiation. It's getting fun here, folks.
But, the Rad Onc peeps called me before the Med Onc peeps called - and those were the dates I was given to show up. They do not give you a choice. Period. Take the appointment and figure out something else for the other parts of your life.
And, so I do just have to change my life around the next appointment - and hope that at least some of my clients stay with me! ; ) Hey all youse guys -- I love you, and I mean it, and don't ever change, and write when you get there, and wish you were here (Oops, no I don't!), and don't forget me, and come on up and see me sometime, and I work late on Friday nights. : ) And I let you do crosswords with me if you want! : )
Nite. Love and kisses to all of you. A client gave me a little angel to put on my station today (thanks Margo), and it now represents ALL of you out there who are being my support network. I love you all - My Affection Collection Connection. Thanks a million billion times. Patty : )

1 Comments:

At July 26, 2007 at 4:40 PM , Blogger dotnroger said...

WOW - you think you're confused. I should have studied Greek. However, I have a son doctor who I plan to consult so I, too will be smart. Were all three of the clunks cancerous? I'll let you know when I talk to Russ.

We're very anxious to hear from George. Roger did talk to him last night and Cris was taking him to the doctor this morning for the PET but no results until Tuesday. I would be a terrible patient as I'm far too impatient to get answers.

Hugs to you and Bob, Dot

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home